Trigger Point Therapy
What are Trigger Points?
Myofacial Trigger Points are hypersensitive places in the muscles that can create shocking amount of discomfort and some surprising effects, more than people can even imagine. It is a small patch of firmly contracted muscle located in a taut band of skeletal muscle. A Trigger Point (TP) is an isolated contraction affecting just a small patch of muscle tissue and is also known as “muscle knot” and may cause pain on that point or in the surrounding areas. Trigger Point Therapy is an effective treatment of these TPs. But, before opting for Trigger Point Therapy in Melbourne, you must know certain facts about the symptoms, causes and treatment of TPs.
Trigger Points resulting into Pain
Formation of trigger points can be predisposed by poor posture, de-conditioning, injury, mechanical imbalance (e.g. leg length inequality), joint disorders, vitamin deficiencies and non-restorative sleep. They can effect patient primarily in 3 ways:
- Trigger points can cause pain directly. Being a natural part of the muscle tissue, it causes pain during palpation.
- Trigger Points can cause referred pain. Pain can spread from trigger points to other locations, which is termed as “referred pain”. For example, trigger points in the muscles around jaw, face, neck and head may cause toothaches, chronic jaw pain, sinusitis, earaches, etc. Trigger points anywhere around the throat may cause a sore throat or lump in the throat.
- Trigger points complicate injuries. In many cases, trigger points may worsen strains (muscle tears), sprains, overuse injuries fractures, and tendinitis, even lacerations and lesions.
Trigger point Therapy at Alternative Myotherapy:
At Alternative Myotherapy, the assessment of trigger points typically considers symptoms, pain patterns and manual palpation. During the process of Trigger Point Therapy, myotherapists use their hands, elbows, or several tools to direct pressure exactly upon the trigger point. Trigger Point Therapy from Alternative Myotherapy can help in treating Trigger Points in 3 ways:
- It gently breaks down the restricted and contracted muscle fibres causing muscle knot.
- It directly stretches the trigger point’s knotted muscle fibres.
- It increases the circulation by unleashing the contracted fibres, thus enabling nutrients, and oxygen to flow to the spot.
This therapy can help you in reducing a number of ailments including:
- Back pain, neck pain and headaches
- Rotator cuff (shoulder) and jaw pain (TMJD)
- tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, hand and arm pain
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Pelvic pain, hip pain and “Sciatic” pain (buttock and leg pain)
- Leg and knee pain and plantar fascitis (foot) pain
It may also help in curing bursitis, arthritis, disc pain (bulge/rupture/herniation) and radiculopathy, frozen shoulder, and fibromyalgia.
Book an appointment for Trigger Point Therapy in Melbourne
If you are suffering from Trigger Points, a Sports Massage in Melbourne or a Remedial Massage in Melbourne cannot solely treat the problem. You need to seek Trigger Point Therapy. At Alternative Myotherapy, Ali has over 10 years of experience in helping patients getting rid of these trigger points with soothing and effective Trigger Point Therapy in Melbourne. To book an appointment, you can call us at 0449 698 635 or reach to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.